Prime Genomics is seeking an exceptional, highly motivated, and creative scientist to lead our innovative research efforts focused on using advanced genomics approaches to validate and extend a novel approach to noninvasive cancer detection.
The ideal candidate will have significant experience in developing and optimizing RNA assays used in evaluating and predicting the genomics of health and disease. The candidate will have an excellent command of nucleic acid assay development, in particular approaches for cancer diagnosis and screening. The candidate will understand cancer biology & pathways, and approaches for nucleic acid profiling of clinical samples & cohorts. This leadership position will involve managing collaborations with clinicians and other research labs and contributing to developing the company’s biomarker test platform, as well as supervising a research associate.
The candidate will work closely with senior management to scope, plan, and execute our R&D plan, and think strategically about adapting innovation to company technology goals. The candidate will be skilled in methods for genomics and gene expression analysis (including qRT-PCR, arrays, and RNAseq), and can plan and manage laboratory activities including experimental design, data analysis, results interpretation and assay optimization.
Excellent communications skills (verbal, written, and using Powerpoint/Excel/data analysis and genomics software tools) are required. Extensive experience strategically contributing to, managing and executing commercial research and/or diagnostics assays and clinical projects required. PhD with appropriate experience in molecular biology, genetics and genomics, and prior experience in assay development and optimization required. Please note: this is a position for a motivated, highly experienced and skilled person who thrives in a rapidly advancing start-up environment.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop robust, optimized nucleic acid assays for RNA profiling from patient cohorts and tissues. Supervise laboratory assay development & optimization, oversee experimental data analysis
- Together with the founding team, develop strategic directions for the company’s technology, by leveraging knowledge of molecular diagnostics, cancer, biomarkers and genomic informatics
- Execute, troubleshoot and document experiments
- Analyze, report, and communicate results
- Manage external collaborations and partnership opportunities
- PhD. in genomics, molecular biology, cancer biology or related, plus postdoctoral experience
- Proven track record of managing assay development for complex clinical biomarker projects
- Required expertise in RT-qPCR, arrays, or other gene expression profiling assay development
- Excellent communication, organization, planning, record keeping skills
- Expertise in multiplexed RNA biomarker development for human disease applications, in particular RT-qPCR from tissues.
- Experience developing a commercial product, diagnostics technology, or new assay methodology
- Proficiency in RNAseq, miRNA library prep, sequencing
- Familiarity with genomics databases and basic bioinformatics tools
- Experienced in writing for publications and grants, as well as collaborating with external groups a plus